I lost a job this week that really surprised me. The text message said "I have somebody else doing the install for me that was a little cheaper". That wasn't the surprise, but the disappointing points just add up to a big "WHAT"!
- I know this builder from my church and we even know a bit of each others "back story".
- I was referred by the landscape architect. First time I was ever recommended by an LA and didn't get the job!
- I spec'd out the equipment for the LA and recommended a couple unique details to the design that will make this job extremely cool.
- I am more expensive, but for a reason...not design, not equipment, but in the details of the installation. I make guarantees others can't because of how I install the job and won't install it any other way...not even to reach a budget.
- Reality is when it comes to million dollar plus homes, budgets are secondary to the quality.
Thinking this particular builder either believes outdoor lighting companies can be compared apples to apples or doesn't place any value on the outdoor package. Either way, I'll make another guarantee, a phone call will be made to whoever does install the job "a little cheaper" to make changes (adjustments) within a year. At least if I'm right, it'll be a good point to make to other builders down the road.